Tuesday, July 12, 2011

downieville + leather 101


Phew..I think I've just finally recovered from the extravaganza that was this years Downieville Classic race. After many hours in the sun, a zillion excellent New Belgium beers, and more free pancakes and fajitas from Chris King then you could shake a stick at (y'all are thoroughly amazing for doing that..), I have finally returned to reality and sufficiently cleared my head to trudge forward in the world of stuff making. But first a few photos from the event....


Forrest at the top of Packer Saddle where those of us not racing handed out water bottles, camel backs and the such. Forrest was particularly stoked that day as that is indeed his brand spanking new Retrotec he is riding. Just assembled a mere couple of days before the race...


We were lucky enough to find snow at the top which is a good thing 'cause that takes care of me being in the snow for the year...it also was quite useful for making snowballs for our close friends to refresh them as they crested the Saddle.


I think this photo is more fun if you make up your own caption. The water was freeeeeezing by the way.


As previously mentioned much New Belgium beer was consumed in the New Belgium tent no less. Jen is a gem and its always super fun hanging out with her! I am sure Vernor has some waaaayy better pics of this event as he was also chronicling it and his camera is much better than mine.


While I was enjoying this amazing event I ran into the equally awesome Yuri Hauswald. Love that guy. I had previously sold him one of my "luce change" wallets and as we started chatting he offered some totally unsolicited yet totally appreciated product feedback. General concensus being that a stiffer materiel for the outside of the wallet would be appreciated.

So I took his advice and took myself home to try some stuff out. I remembered getting some hand tanned buck skin from my friends Tammy and Steven a few years back and set out to find it. Tammy and Stephen are the ultimate recyclers/let nothing go to waste people. They find fresh road kill and dissguarded hunting trophies and use every last bit of the animal. This may sound gruesome to some but many beautiful things come out of this process, ie: the leather from this wallet, and nothing goes to waste. As would be expected they also utilize all local herbs and flowers for various foods, medicines and the like.

Anyway the last two pictures are how the wallet turned out....


Next up....i'll let you know when I figure it out....

No comments:

Post a Comment